Friday, May 27, 2011

Hungry or Bored?

Happy Friday everyone! Not that Fridays really matter to me during summer, since everyday is like a weekend. :) I'm still excited for this weekend though, because I don't have to work or any other responsibilities really. I am excited to spend the three-day weekend with my boyfriend, my best friend (who is coming home for the weekend), and whoever else wants to hang out!


I haven't written in a couple of days. When I started my blog, it was my intention to write everyday, but now I am realizing that might not happen. Life gets busy and sometimes when I get home, I just feel like a little relaxing. I will have to settle for almost every day.


Wednesday an interesting day. I taught Jazzercise in the morning, then found out that my dad is in the hospital. He has cellulitis in his leg and is recieving antibiotics through an IV. He should be okay (I'm hoping and praying!), but will have to spend seven to ten days in the hospital. I stopped to spend some time with him in the hospital. Then, I headed to my mom's for some lunch -- we had tuna on sandwich thins with some fruit and veggies -- then headed to the grocery store for a few things. I have the best mom ever who helps me stay healthy by helping with groceries sometimes. Healthy food is expensive! I picked up some whole wheat tortillas, grape tomatoes (my new favorite! I can't believe I used to think that I didn't like tomatoes), trail mix, and some other goodies.


After our trip to the grocery store, I headed to work at The UPS Store. I only have a couple of weeks left here (I'm at work right now) until I leave to start my summer job nannying. That will be such a crazy transition, since I have worked here for over FIVE years, but I am looking forward to starting a new chapter of my life. (More on that later ...) Since I am leaving, I am "training" someone at work. I use the term training lightly, because Joe used to work here a couple of years ago. I thought he would need a "refresher," but he is doing great, so I am finding myself EXTREMELY bored at work. For me, bored=hungry. Sometimes, I find that I have serious trouble differentiating between the two. Of course, I want to listen to my body and fuel it with the healthy snacks that I packed for work when it needs it. But sometimes I'm not so sure that it does. This is something that I really struggle with. Can anyone relate?


Yesterday, I was excited to get back to the WAC. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jazzercise, but I am really enjoying my new gym membership. It's been awesome trying out lots of new fitness classes, working with trainers, and challenging my body to do new and different things. Yesterday morning, I took a cardio kickboxing class taught by my trainer Jenny, followed by a yoga class. Cardio kickboxing was HARD! A good hard, of course, but I really had to reach deep within myself to find the strengh to pull through. I consider myself to be in okay shape. I'm not a fitness superstar, but I work out regularly. Well, within the first 10 minutes of this class, I was already thinking of how I could sneak out. Then, I slapped myself in the face. Well not literally, but you know what I mean. I am not a quitter, and I want results! Plus, my trainer was the instructor, and I didn't want to look like a big fat loser in front of her. But most of all, I didn't want to let myself down. I fought through the pain, made it through, and felt a million times better about myself as a result. Then, I headed to yoga to calm myself down. Not that yoga isn't a major challenge for me either, but I'll save that for another post.


Needless to say, I woke up feeling pretty sore this morning. So sore that I almost considered taking a day off. I recognize the importance of giving my body a rest every now and then, but I decided that a workout might loosen me up a bit and actually make me feel better. I was right. Since the group fitness classes are cancelled for the weekend, I did thirty minutes of intervals on the treadmill (three minutes running at 5.8 and one minute walking at 4.0), then the strength training circuits that Jenny designed for me. I'm feeling good about all the calories that I burned, because I am heading out to eat at Texas Roadhouse with my best friend Kaitlin tonight. I plan on ordering a fairly healthy entree, but will probably indulge in one of the delicious rolls with sweet cinnamon butter that they have there.


Overall, I feel like I am getting back into the swing of things. Making healthy eating choices is starting to come more naturally again, and I'm craving less and less ... well, crap. I did indulge TWICE yesterday, but I don't even feel bad, because I've been making good choices and they were "good choice indulgences". After lunch, I had half of a "monster" cookie that my friend Lauren baked for me. It was made with healthier ingredients like dark chocolate and all natural peanut butter, and most importantly, it was DELICIOUS. Then, after dinner, I decided to use a coupon I had for a frozen yogurt shop at Bayshore. I AM IN LOVE! (Don't tell my boyfriend, although he won't read this, since I haven't allowed him to see my blog YET ... another topic for another day ...) I decided on fat-free vanilla fro-yo with three topings: fresh strawberries, mangos, and granola. I think I would rather have this than ice cream ... and this comes from an extreme ice cream lover. Just more proof that healthy can be delicious!




Ok, I think that's enough babble for today. I included a picture of the fro-yo for your viewing pleasure. Just keep in mind that I am not a professional blogger with amazing pictures ... this one came straight off of my cell phone with horrible lighting. Still, I decided that describing that bowl of delicious-ness did not do it justice. Until next time!


What is your favorite dessert with a healthy twist? Do you have trouble with the "Am I hungry or am I bored?" dilemma?

No comments:

Post a Comment