Friday, June 10, 2011

Last Day of Work

Well, the high from Taylor Swift has definitely worn off, because I have been spending any free moment I have looking over things for the Praxis. Any form of "studying" while on summer vacation should be illegal. All the kids are getting done with elementary/middle/high school this week, and I am stuck worrying about a test tomorrow.

I think my body may have been a little tired, because I couldn't yank myself out of bed yesterday morning to get to kickboxing at 8:30am. After some deliberation, I decided to give my body a day to rest instead. I knew that I had a busy day ahead of me, so rather than trying to squeeze in a workout that would just further stress me out, I took the day off.

It was about 10:30am by the time I had my smoothie for breakfast, so I decided to make it quick and easy. I threw some frozen strawberries and mangos in the blender with a container of low-fat peach yogurt and a splash of almond milk.


No protein or anything, because I knew that lunch was just an hour away. For lunch, I met the parents of the little girl I am nannying this summer for one final meeting before the gig begins next Tuesday. It was nice to have a kid-free meeting and we talked about all the "house rules" that they expect of me and what the schedule will look like. I can tell that her mom is really nervous, because this is the first time she is trusting her "baby" (now 5) to someone other than school or daycare. I can imagine it must be hard, so I try to understand (even though I'm not sure that mentioning "no drinking alcohol" "no talking to strangers" on the list is completely necessary :).

For lunch, we headed to a restaurant in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee called The Palms. I have never been there before, but the food was delicious. I chose the Bali BBQ Salmon Sandwich. LOVED IT! It came with avocado, herb roasted tomatoes, and field greens. (I nixed the onions.) For a side, I had my choice of waffle fries or asian slaw. A's (the little girl I'm nannying for -- I'm choosing not to disclose her full name for privacy purposes) mom suggested doing half-and-half since they are both good, so I figured why not. She was right! I enjoyed both sides a lot. You can't go wrong with waffle fries, and the asian slaw was very unique. It had a little bite, but I didn't mind it. (And normally, I hate spice!)

I didn't snap a picture, because I thought that might be a little awkward in front of my now-employers since they don't know about the blog, and I didn't want to freak them out and make them think I was going to report to the world about them. I'm really looking forward to starting my two-day-per-week nannying job on Tuesday!

After lunch, I headed home to get some studying in before dinner. Around 3:30pm, I got hungry, so I had a small Greek yogurt and some grapes for a snack. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Greek yogurt, so I decided to pick up a four-pack of Chobani Champions Greek yogurt for kids. They are smaller cups (100 calories each), and the pack I chose is the honey-nana flavor. I added a pinch of granola and chia seeds to the yogurt and actually really enjoyed it.

For dinner, I was meeting up with my mom and our old neighbors, Jacquie and her daughter Macensie, for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen. Brad's sister, Lindsay, came along too. I figured her and Mac (age 11) would get along well. Since CPK is at the mall, we couldn't resist popping into a couple stores on the way. I had no intention of buying anything, but I nabbed another dress on sale for $25 at Francesca's (picture later). 

One Tooth!
But the best find of all was a new workout apparel store called One Tooth Yoga. Their clothes are AMAZING. Honestly, they reminded me mucho of the lululemon line, so I had to ask the saleswoman. According to her, they are somehow affiliated with lululemon (I can't remember her exact words), but One Tooth's clothes are made in Canada, while lululemon's are made in China. Also, she said One Tooth's clothes run about 25-40% cheaper than lululemon's. I didn't have time to try anything on, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. The clothes are definitely expensive, but I have heard great things about how "worth it" they are. Plus, the store (at Bayshore Towne Center) is the first One Tooth location in the United States!

Back to dinner, after much deliberation, Mac and I decided to share a caesar salad and the California Club Pizza. The toppings (grilled chicken, bacon, tomatoes, avocado, and lettuce) were basically identical to the sandwich I had before the T. Swift concert. For some reason, I can't resist that combination. And the pizza was to die for. Even my mom and Jacquie admitted that it was better than the roasted garlic chicken pizza they chose. And I must confess, that I failed as a blogger at dinner, because there were some prime picture-taking opportunities that I totally missed! Once we were finished eating, my mom reminded me: "You forgot to take pictures for the blog!" Next time ...

It didn't take much to convince everyone to stop at Froyo Bella for some frozen yogurt after dinner. I had the vanilla fro-yo with bananas, chocolate chips, and cheesecake pieces.

Eat me!


After dinner, I headed home for another hour of studying. Now, I'm up early to blog, catch up on e-mails and get ready to teach my 9:15am Jazzercise class. (Click on the link to find a class near you!) After Jazz, I am heading to The UPS Store for my last day. I won't really even be working today. I decided that I will just head in to have lunch with my boss and have one last hoorah. I am confident that Joe can handle the night on his own, and my time should be spent studying anyways. 

I have very mixed emotions about leaving my job. I have worked there since I was 16 years old. That means that it has been over five years (with a brief absence during my semesters at UW-Madison). I do need to move on, and engage in some new life experiences. Nannying will be a good fit for me, because I love kids, and any experience with them will look fantastic on my resume as a future teacher. Plus, now that I live with Brad, my commute to The UPS Store is over 30 minutes each way. My nanny job is less than five minutes away. It's time for a change, but I will undoubtedly miss all of the people at The UPS Store. It's a very small business, and we have tons of regular customers that I have gotten to know over the years. 

I've offered to come back if they ever need help, like when both evening employees need off or around the Christmas time rush. Plus, I will obviously be back to visit. It's not like I'm dropping off the face of the Earth, but it will be weird not being there several times a week. Plus, it's just insane to think that in only one year, I will be looking for my first "real" job. Don't even get me started! I'm not ready to grow up ...

What was your first job ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment