Monday, June 13, 2011

Mayo Thief

Happy Monday everyone! The start of  a new week ... the week that Brad finishes work (well his full-time job, at least) for the summer, and I start my two-day a week nannying gig. It kicks of tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes. 

I woke up in the smoothie-makin' mood, so I tossed the following into the blender:
  • A frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
  • 1/2 cup Frozen strawberries
  • 1 cup honey-nana Chobani Greek yogurt
  • Splash of almond milk


Then, while "the little blender that could" was doin' it's thang, I decided that the smoothie could use another boost of nutrition in the form of the spinach that I bought last week, but haven't put to use yet. So, I tossed some in ...


... and continued to blend. I watched as my smoothie turned into a green monster. 


It was delicious and nourished me through my workout (45-minutes of spinning and a little strength training) and until my much-anticipated lunch. 


For lunch, I joined my friend Jenn at Fujiyama, a local sushi restaurant. I met Jenn when she joined Jazzercise after moving here over two years ago. Now, she is returning to Vermont, where's she from. This was our goodbye lunch. I will miss her, but I know she is really happy to be heading home.

I decided to have the lunch special, which included salad, miso soup, and my choice of two rolls.



I chose the tuna/avocado roll and the philly roll (one of my favorites, probably because it includes cream cheese!). 

Tuna Avocado Roll

Philadelphia Roll
Smoked salmon, cream cheese, and cucumber (or avocado at some places)

Each roll contained six pieces. It was the perfect amount of food. In fact, I started to feel a little full with about three pieces left to eat, but I couldn't pass up finishing the sushi. It is one of my favorite foods! To think that I was afraid of it at one point! I would encourage those of you who think sushi is "digusting" to at least give it a try. A lot of the fish in rolls like this is actually somewhat cooked and they come up with some delicious combinations. Anyways, that is my plug for the day ...

After lunch, I headed to Kohl's to look for a swimsuit. I hate swimsuit shopping. Even after losing 60 pounds, I still feel like nothing looks good on me. I have one tankini that I purchased from Target earlier in the season (black and white striped top with solid black bottoms), but since I'll be spending at least two days a week at the pool this summer nannying, I figured that I could use at least one more.

After trying on about 867 different tankinis, I finally found a top that I liked and felt comfortable in. Then, I had to make a decision about the bottoms. I ended up buying a black skirted bottom as well as a pair of black swim shorts (with the built in swimsuit bottoms). These might not be the "sexiest" bottoms in the world, but I feel good about myself in them. And if I'm going to be prancing around a country club all summer long, that is what's most important to me. Plus, I have the pair of "regular" black bottoms that tie on the side to go with my Target suit, so I plan on mixing and matching between the two tops and three bottoms depending on how I'm feeling each day. 

Sorry, no pics of my suits at this time. Picking them out frustrating enough, I wasn't about to put them on just to snap on a pic. I'm sure some will naturally occur throughout the summer, so I'll thinking about throwing them on here. 

Enough about THAT! I got home, and by the time 5:30 rolled around, I had a hungry boyfriend who wanted Culver's. Culver's, the home of frozen custard and Butterburgers, would not be the top on my list of places to eat dinner, but I can work with it. I asked him to grab me a grilled chicken sandwich and some sweet potato fries. 



Honestly, I didn't even know that I liked sweet potatoes until I came across sweet potato fries. Holy delicious!

Although he may not always make the healthiest selections for dinner fare, tonight I realized one thing. Brad gets it. He totally gets that while I might not like it, I need to eat healthy in order to not gain weight. When we first started dating, I didn't want to be "that girl" who always ordered a salad and obsessed about her weight. But now that I feel totally comfortable around him, I'm ok with ordering a grilled chicken sandwich from Culver's instead of a greasy burger.

Anyways, how do I know that he gets it? When he got home with the food, he pulled out my sandwich and said: "I got the mayo on the side, because I figured that you might want to put your own light mayo on it." Umm, I didn't even think of that? Way to go! Although we've never had a specific talk about it, he gets it, and I like the support, even though it might be hidden in small gestures like that. 

Speaking of light mayo, I happened to discover that the Subway near our house stocks cute little packets of light mayo:


And I can't help but stock on them every time I'm there. I can't help it! They are perfect to put in my lunches or spread on, say, a chicken sandwich from Culver's. If you think I'm kidding ...

In our fridge ...

;) Please don't tell!

I'll leave you with this list I came across recently. Ten suggestions for living a happier, healthier life. While I'm confident that there are a million things you can do to help you do so, you can always start somewhere:
  1. Drink plenty of water.
  2. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
  3. Eat more fruits and vegetables and eat less that is manufactured in processing plants.
  4. Avoid eating food that is handed to you through a window.
  5. Live the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm and Empathy.
  6. Play more games.
  7. Read more books than you did last year.
  8. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
  9. Sleep for 7 hours.
  10. Take a 10-30 minute walk daily. And while you walk, smile.
Brad and I could definitely work on number four! ;) Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment